Hurricane Jeanne
At 11:50 p.m. on September 25, 2004 Hurricane Jeanne made landfall near the Stuart Inlet at Category 3 strength. Hurricane-force winds extended outward up to 70 miles from the center; winds of tropical storm force, up to 205 miles. This landfall was only about two miles from and one hour earlier than the landfall of Hurricane Frances three weeks before. Florida weekends were starting to get pretty rough. Jeanne’s highest winds ashore of 124 mph were recorded at the Fort Pierce Coast Guard station. Jeanne's forward speed of up to 13 knots was much faster than Frances’s 4 knots. The fury of the storm lasted only hours, rather than more than a day. The weather got fierce Saturday afternoon, and by Sunday at 9 a.m. the storm had passed.

Jeanne was the first major (Category 3 or higher) storm to make landfall on the east coast north of Palm Beach, Florida and south of the mouth of the Savannah River since at least 1899. Max Mayfield, Director of the National Hurricane Center, said that four hurricanes hit Texas in 1886, but that since hurricane information has been recorded, Florida has never been hit by four hurricanes in the same year. Jeanne followed hurricanes Charley and Frances, which battered the Florida Peninsula, and Ivan, which pounded the Florida Panhandle, though its eye made landfall on the Alabama coast.

Electric service was lost at about 10 p.m. Saturday night, about two hours before the center of the storm passed. Water pressure was also lost. Telephone service was never interrupted (This time my phone line to the pole was safely anchored to a stainless steel marine pad eye bolted to the back wall of the house, instead of the former anchor screwed into the wooden facia). Water pressure was restored in two days and electric service in four days. Practice makes perfect! Damage was certainly reduced by the out of state electric crews having trimmed trees away from the power lines after Frances, and Frances having taken out most of the weak poles. The neighborhood was one of the last to have electric service restored, apparently because a half mile of poles from the local substation had been replaced only days before Jeanne and were easily blown over, since the soil around them had not yet settled.